If you sell tangible, non-perishable retail products, you’ve likely been greatly affected by this pandemic. You’ve probably read about the thousands of businesses shifting their focus to online sales during COVID-19. There is a process that goes into getting your business online. However, it’s not as difficult as you might think – and you’re not too late.
Simple steps to get your businesses on e-commerce platform is as:
1. First step to getting online, is opening up an online store. Shopify, one of the most popular eCommerce platforms, is a Xero partner and integrates with Xero through A2X.
2.After setup, you’ll want to configure (add) payment processors like Stripe, Square, Apple Pay, Amazon and/or Google, and link them to your bank accounts. Shopify makes this easy and has Apple Pay, Amazon and Google Pay by default. It also allows you to accept credit cards.
3. Next you’ll want to set up shipping. Shopify also has shipping arrangements (i.e. deals) and integration in place. You really only have to select from the available options as to what shipping courier you’d like to use.
4. To manage your revenue seamlessly, you’ll want to sync your accounting software with Shopify. Once you’ve signed up for Shopify, A2X and Xero, you can then connect Xero to your store as well as your bank accounts, and you’ll be in sync, financially.
5. Next, you’ll have to add your products to your store. Shopify offers a great guide with video to help with this.
6. Once your products are online, you’ll need to get the word out. Marketing, and where you decide to market, is very important.
7. Share your story and newly available products with your current customers, ideally within an email campaign.
8. Next, go through your personal/professional social network, whether that be Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram or any of the others, and share your new products. You can run ads on each network, but choose carefully and base your decision on your target demographic.
9. CPC ads are a good option if you have the budget – I’d opt for Google Adwords to start. You can advertise on all the search engines you desire, or try your hand at Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). However, be prepared to produce a lot of content to be relevant.
10. Now you’re ready to sell and start shipping out orders. Using Shopify’s shipping integration, you’ll be able to quickly print shipping labels and simultaneously send tracking to your customers.